Re: More than 10% of all Fedora spec files are not POSIX sh compliant

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 1:12 PM Florian Weimer <fw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Dridi Boukelmoune:
>
> > This is the kind of spec that leads to spoiled upstreams putting
> > /bin/sh in shebangs and scratching their heads when they get bug
> > reports for stricter systems...
> >
> > I'd be happier if Fedora was not part of the problem and maintainers
> > were encouraged to figure out the correct shebang (and when in doubt
> > use /usr/bin/bash).
>
> If you want more compatibility, you definitely can't use /usr/bin/bash.

Or /bin/bash, it is good to be reminded that not everyone did the UsrMove...

> Fedora is so different from other GNU/Linux systems these days, so I'm
> not sure if *any* recommendation to encourage portability (at the cost
> of convenience to Fedora developers or users) makes sense anymore.

For me it's not so much about the defaults. When I take a script that
says #!/bin/sh and it turns out to contain bashisms (not even talking
about GNU extensions in  coreutils programs) it's a needless pain in
the backside.

If were somehow able to switch /bin/sh to dash and see where things
blow up, we could gradually switch those to bash, not necessarily
rewrite them to be more portable.

For example, our RPM configuration can definitely be Fedora-specific
and require /usr/bin/bash as the default interpreter. But when a
random script is started as an executable, via its shebang, the
shebang should be accurate and blow up when it isn't.

Bash will indeed run in POSIX mode when it is invoked as sh, but it
doesn't prevent bashisms.

Again, not beating up Fedora or bash, they are both my favorites in
their own categories, but since this topic came up it was a good
opportunity to complain :-/

Dridi