Re: /etc/yum.repos.d -> /etc/distro.repos.d

On 3/13/19 6:10 PM, Björn Persson wrote:

It was discussed on this list last June. The renaming to DNF never
happened in RHEL/CentOS. It's Yum in RHEL 7 and (I hear) it will be Yum
in RHEL 8. Presumably the reason for this is that the sysadmins who
manage RHEL systems like continuity, dislike pointless renaming, and
really hate having to remember to type "dnf" on some servers and "yum"
on others for no good reason.

Renaming dnf to yum is IMHO the best option.
I constantly use the wrong tool when switching between Fedora and Centos,
and the painful "yum.repos.d" string issue (code + docs) would disappear.

Considering that yum has no future and that the options are sufficiently
similar, why not just consider dnf as a new and slightly incompatible yum
version.
(remember egcs -> gcc many years ago)

Regards.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it