Re: /etc/yum.repos.d -> /etc/distro.repos.d

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 11:56 AM Roberto Ragusa <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Renaming dnf to yum is IMHO the best option.
> I constantly use the wrong tool when switching between Fedora and Centos,
> and the painful "yum.repos.d" string issue (code + docs) would disappear.

Actually, we're planning [1] to rename the "dnf-yum" subpackage to
"yum" in Fedora 31, to stay more consistent with the RHEL/CentOS
world.  That way, once Fedora 31 is out, those who have the original
"yum" installed would just seamlessly upgrade to the new major version
4 (the former "dnf-yum").  That's about as close as we can get to
renaming dnf to yum in Fedora at this moment.

Note that the original yum config files would not be automatically
migrated or merged into their dnf counterparts (except for
/etc/yum.repos.d which is used by dnf already), but that's not the
goal here either, as it would be quite complex and error-prone (at a
minimum, we would have to incorporate a pretrans scriptlet using Lua
[2] to take care of some of the symlinks).  Instead, we just want to
provide a smooth upgrade path for yum in Fedora for those who happen
to still be using it for one reason or another, however the actual
config migration (if needed) would have to be done manually by each
user.

IOW, the plan is that the "yum" package will continue to live on both
distros, although the compatibility level of this package will differ
between the two; on Fedora, it will only ship the /usr/bin/yum symlink
and the yum(8) man page, just like the former "dnf-yum".

The whole situation may seem complicated right now, but using the same
package name for the yum compatibility layer on both Fedora and
RHEL/CentOS should simplify things a little bit.

[1] https://github.com/rpm-software-management/dnf/pull/1337
[2] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/Directory_Replacement/

--
Michal Domonkos