Re: F30 Self-Contained Change proposal: Retire YUM 3

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 1:26 PM Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 at 12:14, Mátyás Selmeci <mselmeci.ml@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Well, we could block yum in koji and remove it from all builders and see
> > > what happens, but I think it will break all epel builds (unless we
> > > switch epel to use dnf for buildroot population too) at least.
> > >
> > > kevin
> >
> > Can we put DNF in EPEL so people still targeting EL 7 can adapt their
> > scripts?
> >

> Dnf was added to RHEL-7 in the latest release as a tech preview and is
> in CentOS extras. As such later versions can not be put in EPEL
> without major packaging work.

The dnf in  RHEL 7 is not compatible with mock. I tried it.

> > As a side note, this is a problem with Python 3, too; I can't get any
> > Python 3 bindings for the yum/rpm libs on EL 7, which makes it hard to
> > port software that uses them.
> >

> There will be work on making a newer Python36 in EPEL in the next
> couple of months.
>
> > -Mat

The python34 also does not work with building packages in mock.

It's a lot of work doing this kind of backport. Something needs to be
done if RHEL 30 packages, which will be python3 by default, will be
backported to RHEL 7 or CentOS 7. INerting the "with_ython3" option
currently used to be "with_python2" and "with_python2" might do it,
I've tried things like this with the "py2pack" tool. But my patches to
it are being ignored upstream.