Re: F30 Self-Contained Change proposal: Retire YUM 3

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 6:46 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Based on the entire discussion so far, here's my proposal:
>
>   - we change this to a system wide change
>   - we move it to Fedora 31
>   - we retire the packages from rawhide as soon as f30 is branched regardless of
> the dependent packages
>   - packages with broken deps / FTBFS due to this will be retired if not fixed
> by beta freeze
>
> Contingency mechanism:
>
>   - if some process (releng or similar) needs the packages in order to ship
> Fedora 31, the packages are added into a designated copr repo maintained by the
> person/team responsible for the tool that needs yum (or other packages retired)
>
>   - if the above is not possible and the packages are indeed needed in the
> actual f31 repos, packages are unretired but the person/team responsible for the
> tool that needs yum maintains them as long as they need them and retires them
> once that is no longer true

+1

As an alternative solution, based on a discussion with Neal Gompa
today on IRC, I propose the following:

  - we remove python-urlgrabber from the original change proposal
(i.e. keeping it in F30)
  - we proceed with the retirement of the rest of the YUM stack in F30
  - we make sure the kojid PR[1] is merged in time for F30

This is based on the following two facts:

  - python-urlgrabber seems to be the last component of the YUM stack
that turns this proposal into a "system-wide" change, due to a number
of infra bits that require it (sigul, koji-containerbuild, osc or
imagefactory).   Therefore, if we just postpone the removal of
python-urlgrabber to F31 and merge that kojid PR, we could perhaps
agree on re-qualifying the change as "self-contained" (plus, there's
also the possibility of porting[2] python-urlgrabber to Python 3, but
that's for a separate discussion)
  - the kojid PR[1] is also in-line with another F30 change[3], so
there should be enough incentive to have it merged

Before I go ahead and edit the proposal: Does this variant make sense to you?

[1] https://pagure.io/koji/pull-request/1117
[2] https://github.com/rpm-software-management/urlgrabber/pull/8
[3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Mass_Python_2_Package_Removal

--
Michal Domonkos
Software Engineer, Software Mgmt Subsystem