Re: [Late] F30 System-Wide Change proposal: GCC9

On 22/01/19 08:52 +0100, Dominique Martinet wrote:
Hi,

Ben Cotton wrote on Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 03:16:56PM -0500:
== Detailed Description ==
GCC 9 is currently in stage4 since January 7th, in prerelease state
with only regression bugfixes and documentation fixes allowed.  The
release will happen probably in the middle of April.
rpms have been built are since today in rawhide.

(writing "today" in a change page that stays on a wiki can be confusing
if it gets updated later on)

* Other developers: First few days/weeks just voluntary rebuilds using
the new system gcc, if things fail, look at
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-9/porting_to.html and fix bugs in packages or,
if there is a gcc bug or suspected gcc bug, analyze and report.

I don't have packages to rebuild (evil lurker here), but love to test on
some programs I contribute to.
Is there any plan to have a copr with gcc+libtools for fedora 29 or
would that be too much extra work at this point?

I think it would help having more people test things, and if there are
build failures would help package owners fix these - it's not always
obvious to fix a build failure by repeatedly submitting a new package to
build, and everyone doesn't have a rawhide install around.

That's what 'mock' is for.

It's probably just me being lazy, though; I'll figure something out if
there is no such plan :)

It's really easy to build it yourself:
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/InstallingGCC

Installing binutils is also simple. Build binutils and install it
first, then build GCC to use the same prefix as you installed binutils
to, and the new GCC will automatically use the new GCC.