Re: Packaging FOSS that requires MATLab at runtime

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 19:39:31 +0000
Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 03, 2018 12:56:37 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Christian Glombek wrote:
> >
> > > This is an interesting question and I would like to back the idea
> > > of making this available on COPR.
> > > My 2 cents:
> > > The package *itself* complies to COPR's licensing guidelines,
> > > making it eligible for distribution via that service, while the
> > > runtime dependency of MatLAB makes it an uneligible candidate for
> > > the official Fedora Repos
> >
> > https://docs.pagure.org/copr.copr/user_documentation.html#what-i-can-build-in-copr
> >
> > "You agree not to use Copr to upload software code or other
> > material (“Material”) that:
> > violates any rules or guidelines of the Fedora Project;
> > "
>
> Surely that's not meant to be interpreted as "your packages must
> follow the Fedora packaging guidelines", for if it is, packages in
> COPR will need review too.
>
> > In short, IMHO, if it's not good for fedora, but this, it is not
> > good for copr either.
>
> My personal summary of the discussion is as follows:
>
> - these packages are FOSS but do not conform to the Fedora packaging
>   guidelines as they require non FOSS to run and, therefore, cannot be
>   included in the main Fedora repos.
> - these packages are FOSS and, therefore, can be supplied via COPR
> where packages are not required to conform strictly to the Fedora
> packaging guidelines.
> - the current argument against including these packages in COPR is a
>   philosophical one, not a technical/policy one---one that I tend to
>   agree with at this moment.

Isn't this kind of thing a question for legal?  Is there any liability
for fedora that arises from using encumbered software from FOSS?  I've
seen other people refer to running things by legal on this list.  I'm
not sure how to do it, though.