Re: Packaging FOSS that requires MATLab at runtime

On Mon, Dec 03, 2018 12:56:37 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Christian Glombek wrote:
>
> > This is an interesting question and I would like to back the idea of
> > making this available on COPR.
> > My 2 cents:
> > The package *itself* complies to COPR's licensing guidelines, making it
> > eligible for distribution via that service, while the runtime dependency
> > of MatLAB makes it an uneligible candidate for the official Fedora Repos
>
> https://docs.pagure.org/copr.copr/user_documentation.html#what-i-can-build-in-copr
>
> "You agree not to use Copr to upload software code or other material
> (“Material”) that:
> violates any rules or guidelines of the Fedora Project;
> "

Surely that's not meant to be interpreted as "your packages must follow
the Fedora packaging guidelines", for if it is, packages in COPR will
need review too.

> In short, IMHO, if it's not good for fedora, but this, it is not good for
> copr either.

My personal summary of the discussion is as follows:

- these packages are FOSS but do not conform to the Fedora packaging
  guidelines as they require non FOSS to run and, therefore, cannot be
  included in the main Fedora repos.
- these packages are FOSS and, therefore, can be supplied via COPR where
  packages are not required to conform strictly to the Fedora packaging
  guidelines.
- the current argument against including these packages in COPR is a
  philosophical one, not a technical/policy one---one that I tend to
  agree with at this moment.

--
Thanks,
Regards,