Re: Proposal: Move to an annual platform release starting at F30

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 11:15 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 10:57 AM Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I'll echo what Paul says below with a +1, but I wanted to touch on
> > this point a bit because it implies an assumption that the maintenance
> > model remains the same even if lifecycle options change.  I don't
> > think that needs to be the case, nor do I think it would even be good.
> >
> > Of the large number of packages that you maintain, how many of them
> > are critical to freeze at a specific version for a given Fedora
> > release?  Possibly some, but I would think across the distribution it
> > would not be a huge number.  So if there is no essential need to
> > freeze them at a specific version, why would you want to maintain the
> > packages *separately* for each release?  That sounds like extra work
> > for no benefit.  If we instead take a maintenance approach that you
> > maintain package foo and it is built for all releases, then you only
> > really need to maintain it in a singular instance.
> >
> > Today that is something that can be accomplished with modularity, but
> > I would suggest that we look at stream branching as a solution even
> > for regular packages.  So you wouldn't have fc22-fc32 branches under
> > package foo.  You'd have foo/stream-<version> and you could build that
> > wherever you'd like.  Couple that with automated CI testing and I
> > believe you actually decrease your maintenance burden while increasing
> > your quality.
> >
> > There are many details that would need to be worked out and I don't
> > want to trivialize them, but I do want to at least get people thinking
> > about it in the long term.  If we are going to improve the way we
> > build and deliver our operating system, we shouldn't assume we can do
> > that without changing the way we maintain it either.
> >

> We can change this _today_, actually. fedpkg supports an in-repo
> config file to specify distro targets to push whenever running `fedpkg
> build`. So you could do a repo with only a master branch and have it
> push to all distro targets enabled for the repo at once. This is
> probably a useful optimization for the overwhelming majority of
> packages held by packagers.

Yep, I know :)  For a lot of packages, this could be done now.  I
think to get the full benefits from it across the distro, we'd need to
really define that platform layer so maintainers know what they can
depend on, etc.

> It's just not documented or available as an option for setup when you
> file a repo creation request.

Right.  I think we should start encouraging its use.  I kind of
dislike using 'master' as the branch because it's ambiguous depending
on how you look at it, but it's not wrong.  A stream branch just
provides a bit more context.

josh