Re: Proposal: Move to an annual platform release starting at F30

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 at 11:37, Owen Taylor <otaylor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 3:07 AM Brian (bex) Exelbierd
> <bexelbie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > I'd push Brendans' concept further and suggest that we try to
> > eliminate as many of the compilers, libraries and core system tools as
> > possible from this bootable-base so that those can iterate at their
> > own speed, perhaps 4 year for a laptop vendor and 30 day for a
> > experimental ARM device.  Fedora as a project might not build output
> > for the whole range, but a build system that allowed us to help others
> > be successful would be a huge help here.
>
> Fedora needs to be an operating system provider, not just an operating
> system toolbox provider. <cut>

I feel like we have been saying this for 15+ years even before Fedora
was Fedora. Even back in the RHL days, we would argue over whether
what we were providing was an 'OS' or not versus a toolkit for someone
else to work with. [Especially during the days when Mandrake and a
couple others were just rebuilds of Red Hat Linux with specific kernel
flags and some light patching to sed Red Hat Linux to Mandrake.]

Do we even know what an operating system provider is? Because it seems
like we do this every release where each groups look at what was
produced versus what they wanted and all they can see is all the
compromises they had to make to get it out the door. And unless we
actually come up with some specific things of what is really wanted,
we will be doing this every release in the future too.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.