Re: Fedora Lifecycles: imagine longer-term possibilities

Le jeudi 15 novembre 2018 à 16:22 -0500, Matthew Miller a écrit :
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 10:45:26AM -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > He's proposing Debian-style source code forking into git repos and
> > having the build description merged into that source tree. It's
> > usually referred to as merged-source builds.
> >
> > Basically, we no longer use pristine sources as inputs for package
> > builds.
>
> Although, arguably, what constitutes a "pristine source" has changed.
> Release tarballs are often an afterthought -- or something generated
> automatically by GitHub -- while the tagged git tree is what the
> upstream project themselves consideres to be the true authoritative
> source.

That’s a simplistic view. A lot of projects are branched, forked, split,
merged, renamed, rebased and rehosted to death, you do not have any
single authoritative upstream git repository to track, any package
update can imply switching to a new upstream repository source.

Releases as in “snapshot of upstream code state” have not vanished at
all, nor been deprecated in favour of clean regular tags in a single
authoritative long-term upstream repo that could be imported and
completed in a Fedora-side fork. What happened is that the thing you
need to snapshot before starting the packaging has become a lot more
transient and mutating.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot