Re: Fedora Lifecycles: imagine longer-term possibilities

On 11/13/2018 04:36 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
Hi everyone! Let's talk about something new and exciting. Since its
first release fifteen years ago, Fedora has had a 13-month lifecycle
(give or take). That works awesomely for many cases (like, hey, we're
all here), but not for everyone. Let's talk about how we might address
some of the users and use cases we're missing out on.

I'm mostly a CentOS user with various 3rd party repositories like EPEL and IUS configured for things like newer python, etc.  I'm an occasional Fedora user (and packager for half a dozen or so packages).  I've considered switching to a Fedora desktop but have yet to take the step of reloading my primary workstation with Fedora (since I can't directly upgrade from CentOS).

So, what would this look like? I have some ideas, but, really, there
are many possibilities. That's what this thread is for. Let's figure it
out. How would we structure repositories? How would we make sure we're
not overworked? How would we balance this with getting people new stuff
fast as well?

I saw the announcement for RHEL 8 beta and downloaded the ISO to see what's on it.  It looks like it supports Application Streams, which I assume is the same thing or related to Fedora modules?  The RHEL 8 beta appears to have multiple versions of php, perl, nodejs, and other packages.  I've not yet used Fedora modules nor RHEL 8 beta, but I bring this up to see if that model meets the needs for Fedora users who are looking for something along the lines of "Fedora LTS"?

-Greg