Re: Fedora Lifecycles: imagine longer-term possibilities

Matthew Miller píše v Út 13. 11. 2018 v 18:36 -0500:
> Hi everyone! Let's talk about something new and exciting. Since its
> first release fifteen years ago, Fedora has had a 13-month lifecycle
> (give or take). That works awesomely for many cases (like, hey, we're
> all here), but not for everyone. Let's talk about how we might
> address
> some of the users and use cases we're missing out on.
>
> When I talk to people about this, I often get "hey, you should do LTS
> or go to rolling releases.” As I've said before, on the surface
> that's
> a weird thing to say, since the actual user impact of those two
> different things is mostly _opposite_. So, digging in, it often
> really
> means "I don't want the pain and fear of big OS upgrades".
>
> We've addressed that in several ways: first, making upgrades better.
> (Thanks everyone who has worked on that.) A Fedora release-to-release
> update is normally not much more trouble than you might get some
> random
> Tuesday with a rolling release. Second, we have some things like
> Fedora
> Atomic Host and upcoming Fedora CoreOS and IoT which both implement a
> rolling stream on top of the Fedora release base. And finally,
> there's
> the coming-someday plans for gating Rawhide, making that a better
> proposition for people who really want to live on the edge.
>
> But there are some good cases for a longer lifecycle. For one thing,
> this has been a really big blocker for getting Fedora shipped on
> hardware. Second, there are people who really could be happily
> running
> Fedora but since we don't check the tickbox, they don't even look at
> us
> seriously. I'd love to change these things. To do that, we need
> something that lasts for 36-48 months.
>
> So, what would this look like? I have some ideas, but, really, there
> are many possibilities. That's what this thread is for. Let's figure
> it
> out. How would we structure repositories? How would we make sure
> we're
> not overworked? How would we balance this with getting people new
> stuff
> fast as well?

We've done a really good job stabilizing Fedora, but based on
observations and conversations with users I think the model has been
getting to its limit in terms of userbase. There are simply too many
deplyoments which require a different kind of stability than the
current Fedora can offer (things may not break, but they still change
and change often). That's why I think LTS is an opportunity for us to
grow.
If we want to have an LTS I think we have to give up something. It'd be
really difficult to do it on the top of the 6-month releases. An idea
I've been entertaining recently is something like this:

- unstable rolling release (Rawhide)
- stable rolling release (basically gated Rawhide with stable versions
of components) - for the early adopters who want the latest and
greatest
- LTS
It would definitely need multiple groups with different treatment:
Ring 1 - kernel+base user space, stability is the highest priority, if
any rebases, then very well tested.
Ring 2 - e.g. desktop environments, rebases allowed, but well tested
and planned, perhaps aligned with some minor releases of Fedora LTS
Ring 3 - rolling release components, those can be based on the stable
rolling release Fedora and shipped via Flatpak/modules... maintainers
can then only support one version for all releases of Fedora, this can
be a viable mode for most desktop apps.

Jiri