Re: Fedora Lifecycles: imagine longer-term possibilities

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 at 11:34, <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 9:29 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Absolutely. Fedora once was a pretty solid end-user distro and fun-project for devs. Now it has become an unstable, experimental "bleeding edge" distro with a more and more balloning overhead.
>

> I don't agree at all. Fedora is great. We have tons of compliments from users in places like /r/Fedora and /r/GNOME praising how stable Fedora is. We have by far the most developers working on the distro, thanks to Red Hat. And our QA process -- blocker bugs and freeze exceptions -- is second to none, and ensures we have the highest-quality product of any comparable distro on release day.
>
> What we have is a reputation management issue. This reputation that Fedora is bleeding edge or a testbed for RHEL is pervasive, and we need to find some way to kill it.

You can't kill 'bleeding edge' without understanding what 'bleeding
edge' means to the person saying it. For a LOT of the people who call
Fedora bleeding edge, they look at the fact that we rebase GNOME twice
a year and a bunch of other things and to them that means bleeding
edge. It doesn't mean that for you, but it does for them. Telling them
that Fedora isn't bleeding edge when it is quite obvious to them that
it is just comes across as trying to blow smoke up .. Outside of the
community of innovative developers that Linux attracts, the plurality
of computer users still think that Windows 7 is fine enough for them.
Inside Linux users, most of them are just liking the GNOME and KDE you
just stopped supporting. Anything other than that is bleeding edge to
them. We might call it cutting edge or other terms to give nuance..
but most people just use bleeding edge for anything which isn't
sitting still for 2-3 years.

The same goes for testbed. Fedora is a testbed for RHEL in the same
way that Debian is a testbed for Ubuntu. It doesn't matter that is
silly to us.. most people who are not spending their days in the guts
of the machine of distribution making are going to lump it that way.
And once it is lumped that way... it is the reputation that sticks.
You can spend hours trying to explain it over and over and come back 2
days later and find the people you talked to have gone back to the
same items. The brain is a very complicated neural net where
reputations are local minima in the storage and to get an idea moved
from one place or another takes a lot of continual energy to push the
idea from one reputation to another.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.