Re: Use immutable CRAN URLs

On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 at 15:45, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> IU> - Version: As you already found out, there are many version formats
> IU> allowed.
>
> But it's easy to work from Version: in the normal case and simply allow
> the CRAN version to be specified separately, as I showed in the R-uuid
> sample.  If it's rather more common that updating the version in two
> places is a burden, we can certainly look at other ways to do it.

Your example is fine. I was, again, just completing the picture to
show that your solution is enough to treat every case.

> IU> - Arch, Requires, BuildRequires, libdir/datadir: As Elliott pointed
> IU> out already, archful packages can be detected just by looking into
> IU> the DESCRIPTION file, by checking whether the NeedsCompilation flag
> IU> exists.
>
> As nim pointed out in a previous message, it's "not possible" to make
> use of this information for many things as long as DESCRIPTION is within
> the tarball, because unpacking does not happen until well after specfile
> parsing (and thus macro expansion) has happened.  (Technically all
> things are possible but there isn't too much you can do with a source
> file before it's even been downloaded, and we certainly have to be able
> to parse the spec before that point.)
>
> There are of course some things you can do.  The %prep and %install
> scriptlets, for example, are just shell code which can be inserted by
> macros but which actually runs much later.  So you can use that
> information to figure out how to build, and what files to install.  But
> you can't look in there to add BuildArch: noarch or add build
> dependencies because those have to be done much earlier.
>
> So that's why I just provided separate macros for the archful and noarch
> cases.

I see. Anyway, I suppose that it's healthy to preserve some manual
intervention in these sections.

> IU> - %prep, %build, %install, %check, %files: These can be automated
> IU> too.
>
> Well, look at the two examples I provided.  The %files list isn't
> completely consistent (one package has COPYING and the other doesn't)
> but the test macro file I provided conditionalizes this properly.

>From "Writing R Extensions":

"Whereas you should feel free to include a license file in your source
distribution, please do not arrange to install yet another copy of the
GNU COPYING or COPYING.LIB files but refer to the copies on
https://www.R-project.org/Licenses/ and included in the R distribution
(in directory share/licenses)".

Therefore, that file shouldn't be there and should be removed
(actually, it's funny because uuid's maintainer is a member of R-Core,
and we usually get our submissions to CRAN rejected due to smaller
details ¯\_(ツ)_/¯).

> IU> I'm not familiar at all with RPM macros, but I can help with all
> IU> these details.
>
> So then perhaps have a look at those examples I provided and see how
> they would actually work in real life on more than the two specs I
> converted.  If I get time today I'll fill things in for the noarch
> package case.

You can count on that. I'll try to identify corner cases to see how
your macros behave in such packages and report back as time permits.

--
Iñaki Ucar