Re: Use immutable CRAN URLs

IU> - Version: As you already found out, there are many version formats
IU> allowed.

But it's easy to work from Version: in the normal case and simply allow
the CRAN version to be specified separately, as I showed in the R-uuid
sample.  If it's rather more common that updating the version in two
places is a burden, we can certainly look at other ways to do it.

IU> - Arch, Requires, BuildRequires, libdir/datadir: As Elliott pointed
IU> out already, archful packages can be detected just by looking into
IU> the DESCRIPTION file, by checking whether the NeedsCompilation flag
IU> exists.

As nim pointed out in a previous message, it's "not possible" to make
use of this information for many things as long as DESCRIPTION is within
the tarball, because unpacking does not happen until well after specfile
parsing (and thus macro expansion) has happened.  (Technically all
things are possible but there isn't too much you can do with a source
file before it's even been downloaded, and we certainly have to be able
to parse the spec before that point.)

There are of course some things you can do.  The %prep and %install
scriptlets, for example, are just shell code which can be inserted by
macros but which actually runs much later.  So you can use that
information to figure out how to build, and what files to install.  But
you can't look in there to add BuildArch: noarch or add build
dependencies because those have to be done much earlier.

So that's why I just provided separate macros for the archful and noarch
cases.

IU> - %prep, %build, %install, %check, %files: These can be automated
IU> too.

Well, look at the two examples I provided.  The %files list isn't
completely consistent (one package has COPYING and the other doesn't)
but the test macro file I provided conditionalizes this properly.

IU> I'm not familiar at all with RPM macros, but I can help with all
IU> these details.

So then perhaps have a look at those examples I provided and see how
they would actually work in real life on more than the two specs I
converted.  If I get time today I'll fill things in for the noarch
package case.

 - J<