Re: Use immutable CRAN URLs

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 at 15:02, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> IU> This URL format is not recommended by CRAN, but more importantly,
> IU> the Source0 format does not work anymore, as [1] noted, when a new
> IU> version is released. However, there is an immutable format
> IU> available, as [2] pointed out. So my proposal is to use always the
> IU> following lines instead:

> IU> Source0: %{url}&version=%{version}
>
> That's good to know.  We should consider an %r_source macro similar to
> the existing %pypi_source macro which is used for python packages.  See:
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/Python/#_source_files_from_pypi

That would be certainly great. I would call it %cran_source instead,
and a %cran_url would be helpful too, so that we can write the
following:

Source0: %cran_source

or maybe something like %cran_origin could directly resolve into the
above two lines.

> I would be happy to write it, but I don't enough about R packaging to
> know how uniformly the tags you mention above (%packname, specifically)
> are adhered to in the current packaging set.

%packname is a global variable defined by the R2spec util. I've
checked (script attached in case you're interested) and basically all
the packages use this global. So the new macro(s) would accept up to
two arguments: the name of the R package, which should default to
%packname if defined, and the version, by default %version.

> IU> which are both shorter and immutable, and I propose to add this to
> IU> the R packaging guidelines too.
>
> Well you should certainly open a ticket with the packaging committee if
> you wish to propose changes to the packaging guidelines.
> https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/
>
> You can even send a pull request.

Great. I'll wait for that if you're going to push forward this new macro.

> IU> If we agree on this, is there any easy way to request a system-wide
> IU> change like that to all existing packages?
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mass_package_changes

Thanks for the pointer.

--
Iñaki Ucar