Re: Installation image layout

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 08:30:39AM -0700, Brian C. Lane wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 02:21:47PM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > > Neal, any ideas who Marek could be a co-owner of the feature and help
> > > navigate the Fedora process? Maybe someone on the Anaconda or releng
> > > teams?
> > >

> > Brian C. Lane from the Weldr team is probably the guy to work with on
> > this. He is the chief developer of Lorax, which is where
> > livemedia-creator comes from. I've CC'd him to this email.
>

> Thanks, Marek and I are already in touch :) As long as overlayfs can do
> what we need the bulk of the extra work needs to be done in
> anaconda-dracut.

FWIW the change to anaconda-dracut to support _only_ overlayfs is
quite small:
https://github.com/marmarek/qubes-installer-qubes-os/commit/332be8e1e3e1006013772528078914f491d14c1f#diff-aa15299e3bf81c1e427c9d521d63778f

And it drops dependency on dmsquash-live module.

> We may also want to make this switch an option for a bit, while we work
> out the details.

Support for both layouts will be more tricky, because of the split between
anaconda-dracut and dmsquash-live. Integrating (parts of?) the latter in
the former would make it much easier.
But IMO it's worth making it support both layouts, at least for now.

Anyway, can somebody help me with change proposal? For example I'm not
sure if this is "Self Contained" or "System Wide" Change, or what should
specifically be listed in "Scope". If IRC would be more appropriate for
such discussion, that's fine for me too.

--
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki