Re: Installation image layout

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-btrfs/CAJCQCtTPwQnzwkpk=4ZsZXfWTC7HymYETxp-9xUU_tsvOTW0ZQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/t.atom

> squashfs has supported zstd along with btrfs since kernel 4.14. zstd
> support was mainlined into squashfs-tools a year ago:
> https://github.com/plougher/squashfs-tools/commit/6113361316d5ce5bfdc118d188e5617a1fcd747c
>
> However, there's been no releases since the migration from CVS on SF
> to Git on GitHub.

Ahh I missed that. And looking at koji, it seems like squashfs-tools
are currently FTBFS on Fedora 29. I have F29 but
squashfs-tools-4.3-16.fc28.x86_64.

OK, so it sounds to me like the current proposals for this thread as
it relates to installer images for Fedora 30:

- Drop devicemapper in favor of overlayfs
- Drop squashfs+ext4 images in favor of squashfs only image
- Maybe move to zstd in the squashfs image

I think part of the feature/change proposal should be building an
example LiveOS image in copr so we can get an idea of how to blow it
up, and ask QA to run it through OpenQA tests and see what sorts of
things break there.

Neal, any ideas who Marek could be a co-owner of the feature and help
navigate the Fedora process? Maybe someone on the Anaconda or releng
teams?

--
Chris Murphy