Re: Installation image layout

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 1:58 PM Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 6:24 PM, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 8:17 PM Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> There is volume UUID which is what --uuid affects. But there are other
> >> uuids, including the chunk uuid which gets repeated in every leaf and
> >> node along with the volume uuid, device uuid, each files tree
> >> (subvolume) get its own uuid, etc. Time stamps include atime, otime,
> >> mtime, and ctime. Some objects have all 0's for uuid, and some items
> >> have only 0.0 for times. I'll float the reproducibility question on
> >> the Btrfs list, if it's desirable, useful, and how difficult it is. I
> >> think subsetting Btrfs features to reduce complexity generally, and
> >> therefore increase reproducibility as a consequence of that, has
> >> merit.
> >>

> > This is a really interesting idea...
>

> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-btrfs/CAJCQCtTPwQnzwkpk=4ZsZXfWTC7HymYETxp-9xUU_tsvOTW0ZQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/t.atom

I'm interested to see how that thread turns out... It's a tempting
idea, because it gives you so much more flexibility. Installation onto
a disk could be a "btrfs send" and overlay changes could be easily
flattened on top of the target system. It'd also be much cheaper and
lighter for supporting the live environment.

> > squashfs has supported zstd along with btrfs since kernel 4.14. zstd
> > support was mainlined into squashfs-tools a year ago:
> > https://github.com/plougher/squashfs-tools/commit/6113361316d5ce5bfdc118d188e5617a1fcd747c
> >
> > However, there's been no releases since the migration from CVS on SF
> > to Git on GitHub.
>
> Ahh I missed that. And looking at koji, it seems like squashfs-tools
> are currently FTBFS on Fedora 29. I have F29 but
> squashfs-tools-4.3-16.fc28.x86_64.
>

> OK, so it sounds to me like the current proposals for this thread as
> it relates to installer images for Fedora 30:
>
> - Drop devicemapper in favor of overlayfs
> - Drop squashfs+ext4 images in favor of squashfs only image
> - Maybe move to zstd in the squashfs image
>
> I think part of the feature/change proposal should be building an
> example LiveOS image in copr so we can get an idea of how to blow it
> up, and ask QA to run it through OpenQA tests and see what sorts of
> things break there.
>
> Neal, any ideas who Marek could be a co-owner of the feature and help
> navigate the Fedora process? Maybe someone on the Anaconda or releng
> teams?

Brian C. Lane from the Weldr team is probably the guy to work with on
this. He is the chief developer of Lorax, which is where
livemedia-creator comes from. I've CC'd him to this email.