Re: Orphaning some Java packages

On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 10:15:46 +0200, you wrote:

>Le jeudi 27 septembre 2018 à 19:14 -0400, Gerald Henriksen a écrit :
>>
>> Or, short version, the Java ecosystem is either indifferent or hostile
>> to distribution packages.
>
>Any language ecosystem is initially hostile to distribution packages.

Except this has been going on for years, and hence is long past the
initially stage.

>Besides the main advantage of distribution packages is upgrade
>management, and composing of many software components, by tracking the
>state of each of those components, and providing uniform deployment
>rules.

Which quickly falls apart when upstream refuses to update their code
to the latest versions of the libraries they use, and Fedora (rightly)
as a rule doesn't want multiple versions of libraries.

I agree that in an ideal world the distribution model is the best and
most effective, but we don't live in an ideal world and sadly many
(most?) upstreams don't follow what a distribution would consider good
practices.

>There are no special distribution-friendly langages. C?C++ software was
>deployed for years without packages on Solaris, AIX, Windows and so on
>before all the efficiency wins of doing via packages on Linux made Linux
>distributions capture that market.

Except all the "modern" languages decided to solve the problem
themselves with their own repositories of libraries and build systems
that pull in dependencies as needed.  They (somewhat rightly from
their respective) view maven, gradle, npm, etc. as the best and
preferred solution because they deal with it once and it covers every
OS.

Which is why the C++ community is belatedly dealing with the issue and
has started a working group on trying to deal with the issue of a
package manager.