Re: Fwd: fedora-tagger sunset - week post F29 beta freeze

On 2018-08-28, Mattia Verga <mattia.verga@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 2018-08-26, Mattia Verga <mattia.verga(a)yandex.com&gt; wrote:
>> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Remove_Group_Tag> :(
>>
>> -- Petr
> The Group tag would not fix exactly what I mean. I wouldn't want to
> create groups of packages, but apply descriptive tags of the abilities
> of the package.

I was proposing repurposing the Group tag. Nobody uses it for installing
package groups nowadays. Actually I don't think it ever was used like
that. It was always used more like a category.

> For example, in some of the packages I maintain:
> ccdciel: astronomy, astrophotography, imaging, telescope

For example in ccdciel package:
Group: astronomy, astrophotography, imaging, telescope

However I don't know if Group is a scalar or a vector. Vector tag would
be more suitable, so that a package manager got the list already parsed
as:

Group: astronomy
Group: astrophotography
Group: imaging
Group: telescope

> ... so that a user can search for those tags in a package manager,
> instead of searching Google to find what software can do what he's
> searching for and then search for that package in the package manager
> to find if Fedora ships it.

This works now:

$ dnf -q repoquery --qf '%{GROUP} %{NAME}' | grep Games

If yum repodata provided a reverse index (a mapping from a group to
package names), then "dnf -q repoqeury --what-group Games" would also
work.

-- Petr