Re: Packages which use the BuildRoot: directive

On 07/12/2018 10:24 AM, Ken Dreyer wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 11:39 AM, Ben Rosser <rosser.bjr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> We have been telling people for a while now that they don't "own"
>> their packages. Making it easier for people to maintain their packages
>> outside of dist-git and (effectively) ignore changes from
>> proven-packagers seems to take us in the opposite direction.
>
> I don't think I agree with the messaging that people don't "own" their
> packages. I get the point that people should be open to other
> contributors changing things, like the original context of this
> thread. On the other hand, people don't take pride in work if they
> don't "own" it :) We want to bring more contributors into Fedora, and
> there's an element of pride in becoming a package maintainer that's a
> good community incentive.

Well, I think people can still take pride in being good points of
contact or caretakers of the package for the Fedora community (and they
should, without packagers we would be no where!).

To my mind at least "own" implies a ability to do whatever you want with
your "property" and be upset/mad/disgruntled when someone else does
something with it, where 'caretaker' or 'point of contact' makes it more
clear that you are just trying to keep this package working and happy
for the others and when someone changes it you should be happy for the
help.

All that said, people who maintain their specs elsewhere are doing so,
and we have no good way of forbidding it, so we should probably stop
pretending we do.

kevin