Re: Packages which use the BuildRoot: directive

On Wed, 2018-07-11 at 12:16 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> [...]
> > > want to maintain spec files in a common location across a variety
> > > of
> > > distributions.  It seems more reasonable to have a guideline that
> > > requires people to put a comment in the spec file if it is
> > > maintained
> > > outside of Fedora and point to the proper location to file issues
> > > against.  That doesn't prevent people in the Fedora project from
> > > making changes in dist-git and it'd certainly be way more helpful
> > > in
> > > the long run to get the issue corrected upstream so we don't keep
> > > having the same import issues over and over.
> >

> > I will disagree with this (and I also think there was an FPC ticket
> > about this).
> > Do you expect automated tooling to go to upstream and file PRs?
> > People can
>
> I'd expect automated tooling to skip such packages based on a keyword
> or control file in dist-git.
>
> > maintain their specs wherever they want, but they should be
> > prepared that
> > Fedora will change their specs and they should not overwrite such
> > changes.
>
> I said that as well.  What you're missing is the part where people
> tell the actual maintainers something changed.

> > > Yet people are surprised when they aren't followed, which is what
> > > meant by a false sense of security.  "The guidelines say this so
> > > it
> > > must be true!", yet the guideline is unrealistic.

> > > Heh, that's fair.  I think the analogy conflates two very
> > > different
> > > things though.  CoC is for human behavior norms, which are wide
> > > and
> > > varied.  Packaging guidelines tend to be more concrete, focused
> > > around
> > > technology and less open to interpretation.  They say
> > > "guidelines" but
> > > if they aren't followed people treat them as rules and require
> > > exceptions and exclusions.

> > > I know you said this for argumentation's sake, but you're just
> > > proving
> > > my two points above.  All of that makes participating in Fedora
> > > harder, for little benefit outside of sticking to a guideline
> > > that
> > > doesn't make sense.  You and I are going to likely disagree on
> > > this
> > > point, and that's OK.
> > >
> > > And I think the mass rebuild changelogs are unnecessary and
> > > convey no
> > > valuable information, so *shrug*.
> >

> > It's not only changelogs, people keep re-adding BuildRoot and
> > %clean section.
> > People keep overriding changes we've done in Fedora when they
> > import from
> > "upstream".
>
> Because nobody is communicating with upstream and fixing it
> there.  In
> some cases it'll be met with a shrug (like changelogs).  In many, it
> might actually result in upstream making a similar fix.

Isn't tooling in our dist-git commit hooks or push hooks that simply
reject commits that remove changelogs or re-add unwanted sections the
way to go here ?

> > Fedora dist-git is canonical location for spec files. They are
> > supposed to build
> > in Fedora buildsystem and work there. No one is going to understand
> > whole
> > spec file just to make some fix in Fedora. Fullstop here.
>
> This is a human problem that the existing tools and guidelines aren't
> going to solve.

But tools can solve, for example they can lint spec files in git hooks
and reject pushes that break lint.

>   So we can either adjust the tools and guidelines to
> actually be helpful to humans, or we can continue to stare at our
> navels and pretend having these things written down is going to fix
> the issues you're highlighting.  I'd rather have a compromise that
> works on collaboration.  In reality, I expect nothing to change here
> and we'll have this conversation again down the road.

Well said.

Simo.