Re: Packages which use the BuildRoot: directive

JB> That's impossible to enforce and unrealistic.

I will go as far as "it's somewhat difficult to enforce and idealistic",
but no further.

JB> We can say that as much as we'd like, but there is nothing we can do
JB> to prevent people from syncing from elsewhere.

There are lots of things we can't completely prevent, but that doesn't
mean we shouldn't have rules against them.

JB> Having it in the guidelines seems to give a false sense of security.

I don't understand how a guideline would ever give any "sense of
security".  What would you expect a guideline to secure against?
They say what you are and aren't supposed to do, and not much more.

It's not much different than a code of conduct.  If there's anything
that's "impossible to enforce and unrealistic", it's that.  But we
certainly shouldn't get rid of a "be nice to each other" rule just
because such a rule would give someone a false sense of security that
they can post to a mailing list without getting nasty emails (as recent
threads on the subject of specfile cleanups have shown).

And certainly we can work to enforce this particular rule.  It's not
hard to watch for commits which delete, say, the mass rebuild changelog
entries or reintroduce one of these recently removed tags and then alert
someone when necessary.  That work is already in progress.  It's would
technically be even easier to do that check in a git hook and simply
refuse to accept the push, if we really wanted to go that far.

 - J<