Re: Packages which use the BuildRoot: directive

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 2:13 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 01:39:51PM -0400, Ben Rosser wrote:
> > We have been telling people for a while now that they don't "own"
> > their packages. Making it easier for people to maintain their packages
> > outside of dist-git and (effectively) ignore changes from
> > proven-packagers seems to take us in the opposite direction.
>
> Yeah, this argument seems pretty compelling to me. I think that if
> people want to maintain an outside spec file, they *must* also respect
> changes made to the primary one in dist-git.

It would be compelling if changing words on a wiki page somehow made
something easier.  It doesn't, and instead we continue to assume
because we have a guideline everybody a) is aware of it and b)
immediately follows it.

Look, we can just stop now.  People want to pretend we don't have
problems or that the guideline is a solution when it isn't.  That's
OK.  I've offered some suggestions on how to improve things, and
people don't agree because it theoretically causes them more work.
That's also OK.  I'm not interested in debating it further when people
aren't even reading what I've written.

josh