Re: Packages which use the BuildRoot: directive

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 02:12:37PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 01:39:51PM -0400, Ben Rosser wrote:
> > We have been telling people for a while now that they don't "own"
> > their packages. Making it easier for people to maintain their packages
> > outside of dist-git and (effectively) ignore changes from
> > proven-packagers seems to take us in the opposite direction.
>
> Yeah, this argument seems pretty compelling to me. I think that if
> people want to maintain an outside spec file, they *must* also respect
> changes made to the primary one in dist-git.

Yes. Another reason against keeping the spec file somewhere else and
just syncing it into dist-git, is that it makes it significantly
harder for another maintainer to contribute, even a simple fix. We
must be prepared for other people to help with our packages when
we're on vacation or busy, and accept PRs in src.fp.o, and having
an external location for the spec file interferes with all of that.

Zbyszek