Re: Packages which use the BuildRoot: directive

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 1:40 PM Ben Rosser <rosser.bjr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 12:16 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Because nobody is communicating with upstream and fixing it there.  In
> > some cases it'll be met with a shrug (like changelogs).  In many, it
> > might actually result in upstream making a similar fix.
>
> What is "upstream", though? Some repository the packager uses to hold
> the spec files? The actual upstream project that's being packaged?
> Some other distribution's package repository? Presumably the people
> doing automated cleanups would need to know this information, somehow.

No, I said automated cleanups should skip such packages.  If people
doing them were really interested, they could lookup the info in the
file or file a bug, or have their script file a bug because the
package was skipped.

> And if an automated cleanup involves hundreds or thousands of
> packages, is it realistic to have the person doing that cleanup look
> up and contact various different upstreams manually for all of these?
> Doesn't this make it harder, not easier, to do automated package
> cleanups?

No.

> We have been telling people for a while now that they don't "own"
> their packages. Making it easier for people to maintain their packages
> outside of dist-git and (effectively) ignore changes from
> proven-packagers seems to take us in the opposite direction.

I disagree.  "Ownership" within Fedora is one aspect we've tried to
address, but we're pretending that Fedora "owns" the code base which
is a falsity.  There are many more people involved and in this
specific kind of situation, pretending there aren't is just odd.

> If this is really something that's necessary, maybe it would be good
> to require someone's approval (FESCo? FPC?) to maintain a package
> outside of Fedora dist-git. Then at least the number of such packages
> could be hopefully kept low.

That's a thing that could be done, but I'm skeptical it will help much
without the other things.

josh