Re: Packages which needlessly use %defattr

On 10.7.2018 17:45, Till Maas wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 10:36:08AM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

I haven't written any scripts which modify specfiles, only scripts which
find issues.  And in any case:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mass_package_changes#Automated_cleanup

Besides... this is git.  And rawhide.  If I broke something seriously
then I or any maintainer or any provenpackager can revert the commit.

Really, if we just waited until every spec maintainer had a chance to
ack every script that's used to modify packages, there would be no point
in ever trying to do automated cleanup.  Sorry, but my work with Fedora
will be aimed towards progress, not sitting around not changing anything
for fear of potentially breaking something.

The removals of %defattr that I did a few hours ago were done by hand,
not scripted.  I don't doubt that there's a reasonable chance that I
could have screwed up one or two out of nearly 2700 packages.  That's
life.

thank you Jason for doing this. IMHO we need to embrace this approach.
As you write, it is the path for progress and I hope we have more of
these automatic cleanups to reduce the need for manual interventions as
much as possible.

I second that. We need to remove old cruft from packaging and Jason is doing a great job.

--
Miro Hrončok