Re: Packages which needlessly use %defattr

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 7:53 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> KF> I agree. If this could be done before mass rebuild we can catch any
> KF> issues/typos/mistakes in this with the mass rebuild.
>
> I've been away from computers for a bit, but I could certainly do this
> without too much effort.  I just know that some people are somewhat...
> prickly about "their" packages and wanted to give some room for
> discussion.  But I will just go ahead and fix at least a big batch of
> these previous to the rebuild.  If someone really, really doesn't like
> it then I guess they can revert, but I do intend to keep running this
> and the rest of the reports I've been running recently.
>
> Also, the reason gdb didn't show up is because it uses yet another form
> of the line which I didn't account for: %defattr(-,root,root).  The fact
> that there are so many forms and most couldn't tell you which arguments
> are which (and yet copy it into their specfiles because some other
> specfile has it) is more than sufficient reason for removing it.
>
> Anyway, modifying the check for that additional defattr mode adds 306
> packages (not including gdb because it was fixed).  That list (in the
> usual format) is below.
>
> Finally, the checks I'm doing aren't intended to be comprehensive.  It
> only looks for one specific case.  After this is done I may work on
> auditing all of the remaining uses of defattr.

Would you please post, or post a link to, your updated filter script?
I'd be especially curious if it inserts a record of the work in the
%changelog stanza.

As good as you may be at writing such tools, I'd be a bit wary of "I
have this script that's touching hundreds or thousands of spec files,
and which I've updated again, and no one has seen the final form, but
you can verify my work by checking the thousands of modified RPM's
I've built". It seems somewhat risky.