Re: F29 System Wide Change: Make BootLoaderSpec the default

On Fr, 22.06.18 14:26, Chris Murphy (lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 1:30 PM, Kyle Marek <psppsn96@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Anaconda in F28 currently claims /boot cannot be vfat. However, this appears
> > to be an artificial limitation, because `grub2-install` works and makes a
> > bootable GRUB with a vfat-typed --boot-directory.
> > I'm not sure why there would be an issue with /boot being vfat. I guess two
> > good questions to ask that might offer some insight:
> >
> > What filesystem limitations make vfat unappealing? (do we need symlinks?)
>
> Unappealing from a non-shared distro-centric point of view: no xattr,
> no POSIX permissions or owners, no links.
>
> Some of those things are unappealing and maybe disqualifying for a
> shared boot, security labels being one.

Please be less vague. We already established that currently the
selinux databse only uses two different relevant labels on /boot. And
it's not clear to me that it's really worth maintaining those
separately. And if there's only one label for it, then fat is fine, as
it's sufficient then to specify the label to use in the mount options.

I mean, let's face it, the main stakeholder on $BOOT is not going to
honour the labels anyway, so I think it's only fair to treat the
whoile thing as a single security domain.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat