Re: F29 System Wide Change: Make BootLoaderSpec the default

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 1:30 PM, Kyle Marek <psppsn96@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anaconda in F28 currently claims /boot cannot be vfat. However, this appears
> to be an artificial limitation, because `grub2-install` works and makes a
> bootable GRUB with a vfat-typed --boot-directory.
> I'm not sure why there would be an issue with /boot being vfat. I guess two
> good questions to ask that might offer some insight:
>
> What filesystem limitations make vfat unappealing? (do we need symlinks?)

Unappealing from a non-shared distro-centric point of view: no xattr,
no POSIX permissions or owners, no links.

Some of those things are unappealing and maybe disqualifying for a
shared boot, security labels being one.

So many things here are in possible conflict from the distro centric
way of viewing the world, that simply have to change if we're really
going to get to a shared $BOOT world.

> Does Fedora plan to support installing with bootloaders other than GRUB on
> x86?

extlinux is an option supported by anaconda, it's not supported in
that if something about it doesn't work we aren't going to block
release; but it's a preferred bootloader for some VM images I think
Cloud stuff was or is using extlinux.

--
Chris Murphy