Re: F29 System Wide Change: Make BootLoaderSpec the default

On Fr, 22.06.18 19:01, Javier Martinez Canillas (javier@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

Whereas constantly changing the ESP, means we need some way to
establish a master and rsync to the extras.
So the consensus seems to be to have the BLS fragments in
$BOOT/loader/entries even on EFI, where $BOOT is the boot partition
mounted on /boot. That will give us the following advantages as
mentioned in this thread:
Uh, as one of the authors of the spec, I am not convinced using
arbitrary non-FAT file systems for $BOOT. In fact the spec currently
says it has to be VFAT. I wouldn't call that "consensus".

Which file system do you have in mind even for this?

As far as I know it's very clear now that boot loaders have a hard
time implementing any of the current file systems properly. AFAIK the
XFS folks as one case were pretty clear that any implementation of XFS
which is not the in-kernel one is not supportable, but I am pretty
sure for the other more modern file systems things aren't too
different either. The fact that grub doesn't properly implement XFS is
a real issue, as I am sure you know, since it won't replay the
journal, and hence doesn't see changes made on previous boots when the
file system wasn't unmounted (which is a regularly seen issue, as ply
keeps XFS busy during shutdown), resulting in unbootable systems.

Why not just stick to VFAT? As mentioned, it's really the only thing
generally understood by everything that has a stake in boot
means the EFI shell, which is immensly useful). Linux speaks it in the
initrd and after boot. Windows speaks it. MacOS speaks it. It's the
lowest common denominator and should be entirely sufficient to store a
few kernels and their initrds. I mean, we build our kernels as EFI
binaries on Fedora, IIRC. Wouldn't it be a pity if EFI can't actually
access them, because they are stored on an fs only Linux speaks?

Anaconda in F28 currently claims /boot cannot be vfat. However, this appears to be an artificial limitation, because `grub2-install` works and makes a bootable GRUB with a vfat-typed --boot-directory.

I'm not sure why there would be an issue with /boot being vfat. I guess two good questions to ask that might offer some insight:
  • What filesystem limitations make vfat unappealing? (do we need symlinks?)
  • Does Fedora plan to support installing with bootloaders other than GRUB on x86?