Re: F29 System Wide Change: Make BootLoaderSpec the default

> On Jun 18, 2018, at 3:54 PM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 3:42 PM, Andrew Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> On Jun 18, 2018, at 10:02 AM, Javier Martinez Canillas <javier@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> Yes for EFI systems but no otherwise. On EFI the BLS snippets are in
>>> /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/loader/entries and on non-EFI systems are in
>>> /boot/loader/entries.
>>>

>> I think this is the wrong approach. I see no valid reason that the
>> paths should be different on EFI.
>
> I don't like it either but I'm trying to keep an open mind. What I
> recall from the conversations years ago with the mgj59 variant, it's a
> lot easier to poke holes in any attempt to standardize bootloading,
> than to standardize bootloading. But if no one is willing to give any
> ground anywhere, it's way too easy to stop progress.
>
> The proposed change doesn't really fix any of the user facing
> problems, it just gets us away from depending on grubby and
> grub-mkconfig (we never really depended on grub-mkconfig, the
> installer uses it as a one shot). So in the most narrow sense, the
> change succeeds at doing the only thing it's intending to do. But
> yeah, I lament that we're not being more aggressive while we have the
> chance to fix past oversights.

And that's fine, as long as it's not done in a way that makes it
harder to improve in the future.

>>> No, $BOOT is always the ESP where GRUB 2 is installed.
>>
>> I’m going to go out on a limb and make a stronger objection than
>> Chris’: I think that $BOOT SHOULD NOT be the ESP. The ESP is
>> problematic for any number of reasons. It’s usually vfat, so it’s
>> fragile. It does not support RAID safely. And it’s often small.
>
> Well as it turns out all the file systems are fragile as far as the
> bootloader is concerned :-P We've got bugs where the bootloader can't
> read needed files, because part of the commit is still in the journal
> rather than fully flushed out to file system metadata. So no matter
> what you can break a set up...

> Getting journal support in the bootloader isn't going to happen. I've
> already talked to the various fs upstreams about it.

Why are you talking to the fs upstreams?  The problem is a bug in
GRUB, full stop. All this freeze crap that Fedora does is just
papering over the bug.  IMO the right thing to do is to get *GRUB*
upstream to have a fully functional implementation of *one*
widely-supported fs.  Hmm, GRUB supports F2FS, and F2FS is
log-structured, right?  So I don't see how GRUB could fail to read a
dirty filesystem correctly even if it wanted to.

Or someone could design a very simple, highly reliable, filesystem
designed to make it easy to do atomic-enough updates and to read
reliably.  Think VFAT-like but with a full atomic swap of all FS
metadata.  Or a dead-simple log-structured FS.  /me ducks.

Seriously, though, F2FS might be a fantastic choice for this purpose.

>> As an extra plus, upgrading a kernel doesn’t require mounting the ESP,
>> which means that the bootloader installation can sync the ESP across
>> multiple disks and it will remain synced.
>
> Yeah. But *le sigh* we have fwupd which wants /boot/efi mounted
>
> I use 'umask=0077,shortname=winnt,nofail,noauto,x-systemd.automount'
> in fstab for /boot/efi and yet every boot:
>
> Jun 17 14:07:06 f28h.local systemd[1]: boot-efi.automount: Got
> automount request for /boot/efi, triggered by 2268 (fwupd)
>
> So add that to the list of packages that need an ESP syncing daemon if
> they don't want to be responsible for dynamically mounting and
> umounting the ESP.

I disagree.  fwupd doesn't need any ESP syncing.  In the very worst
case, fwupd sticks a capsule in the ESP from which we booted, then
that disk dies, and we don't apply the capsule.  No harm done.

I really think the correct approach here is to have an ESP on each
potentially bootable disk.  Each ESP will independently contain the
code to handle BootLoaderSpec entries on a *different* partition.  The
only time we need to modify all the ESP copies is when we upgrade GRUB
or upgrade GRUB's configuration.  We do *not* need to propagate
capsules or any other similar objects.  And we should not even try to
impose a requirement that the filesystems be bitwise identical.
They're *copies*, not RAID.

>> All that being said, $BOOT should not use security context xattrs —
>> getting that to work right across distros is probably impossible.
>

> It's a good point. I'm not really sure  how to prevent conflicts if
> there is to be a truly shared $BOOT unless it is a file system that
> will reject xattrs.

Mount with noxattr?

--Andy