Re: F29 System Wide Change: Make BootLoaderSpec the default

> On Jun 18, 2018, at 10:02 AM, Javier Martinez Canillas <javier@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 10:20 PM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 12:51 PM, Adam Williamson
>> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote a monolithic config
>

>> The cited BLS spec requires $BOOT be VFAT, are we doing that?
>>

> Yes for EFI systems but no otherwise. On EFI the BLS snippets are in
> /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/loader/entries and on non-EFI systems are in
> /boot/loader/entries.

I think this is the wrong approach. I see no valid reason that the
paths should be different on EFI.

>> If there's no room on the EFI System partition for all of this, will
>> we following bullets 2 and 5 of the BLS spec under "The installer
>
> No, $BOOT is always the ESP where GRUB 2 is installed.

I’m going to go out on a limb and make a stronger objection than
Chris’: I think that $BOOT SHOULD NOT be the ESP. The ESP is
problematic for any number of reasons. It’s usually vfat, so it’s
fragile. It does not support RAID safely. And it’s often small.

Most of this can be solved by putting $BOOT on a different partition.
Stick it on mdadm 1.1 if you want RAID (*not* 1.0 or 0.9 due to
corruption risks [0]), and maybe even use a journaling filesystem that
the bootloader can *correctly* read. (That means the bootloader should
be able to parse the journal.).  And make it however big you want.

As an extra plus, upgrading a kernel doesn’t require mounting the ESP,
which means that the bootloader installation can sync the ESP across
multiple disks and it will remain synced.

All that being said, $BOOT should not use security context xattrs —
getting that to work right across distros is probably impossible.

[0] I use mdadm a lot, and I never use 0.9 or 1.0. It’s too fragile.