Re: F29 System Wide Change: Make BootLoaderSpec the default

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 12:51 PM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-06-14 at 12:06 +0200, Jan Kurik wrote:
>> == Scope ==
>> * Proposal owners:
>> ** Generate BLS snippets at kernel build time and ship in the kernel packages.
>> ** Make kernel-install scripts to copy the BLS, kernel and initramfs
>> images and do any architecture specific task.
>> ** Make GRUB 2, zipl and Petitboot bootloaders to populate their boot
>> menu entries from the information in BLS files.
>> ** Have a grubby wrapper for backward compatbility that manipulates BLS files.
>> ** Modify packages that use grubby to instead install BLS fragments
>> (memtest86+, tuned).
>> ** Make sure this is all properly documented in release-notes, etc.
>
> What exactly is the plan for upgrades, here?

"users upgrading from a previous version of Fedora will keep the old
behaviour. "
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BootLoaderSpecByDefault#Upgrade.2Fcompatibility_impact

I'm on the fence whether I think it's better to support two bootloader
configurations, or compel upgrades to use the new method at some point
and when, rather than having a community with multiple personalities
confusion.

The cited BLS spec is the original one, not the more thoroughly
discussed and thought through variant by Matthew Garrett [1] some
years ago.

What are we getting from the cited spec? All of it? Are there
exceptions? Where are the exceptions written?

The cited BLS spec requires $BOOT be VFAT, are we doing that?

The cited BLS spec requires kernels and initramfs go on $BOOT, are we
doing that?

Are we going to stop doing the diabolical (and widespread) nested
mount nonsense, e.g. /boot/efi? Are we getting rid of the persistent
mounting of these volumes in favor of mounting/unmounting dynamically
only by the programs that are authorized to make changes to these
volumes?

If there's no room on the EFI System partition for all of this, will
we following bullets 2 and 5 of the BLS spec under "The installer
program should pick $BOOT according to the following rules"? Or are we
doing something else and if so where is that written?

[1]
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/MatthewGarrett/BootLoaderSpec/

--
Chris Murphy