Re: F29 System Wide Change: Hide the grub menu

On 06/04/2018 06:09 PM, Vít Ondruch wrote:

Dne 1.6.2018 v 16:29 Ken Coar napsal(a):
On 06/01/2018 05:06 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
It is irony, that people, who are capable to get into the grub menu if
they need, complain about it being hidden. So to say, I am 100% for
hiding the grub menu, speeding up the boot process, and if need it, I'll
find a way to get it.
I fail to see any irony here.  When I need to get into the
grub menu, it's usually an emergency (or at least highly-stressful)
situation, with no documentation handy, and flailing about
trying to figure out how to make it appear just adds to the
stress and the blue tinge of the air in my vicinity.

What *exactly* is this trying to solve?

IIRC, the patch is to hide the grub menu IFF there's only one
kernel because 'it serves no useful function.'  A number of
people (myself included) have disputed that assertion.  If
the assertion is invalid, the patch shouldn't be applied.
Correct?  That seems simple enough.  Or maybe I don't understand
the process, lacking sufficient Fedora-devel-fu karma.

How many non-tech end users install Fedora straight
from the distro, as opposed to those who install a frobbed
version, with different defaults, from a repackager?
_I.e._, repackagers can set grub up however they like.

Is Fedora's goal to be end-user friendly, tech friendly, or
the all-singing all-dancing Linux distro?

Talking from my experience running Rawhide on two my laptops for ~5
years, I really don't remember where I would really need to use older
kernel. If I had to, it was probably due to something like audio issues
with my docking station and that is hardly the situation you describe.

In my family, there are another 2 computers running Fedora. I don't
remember any kernel related issues. And if there were kernel issues,
explaining my sister that she should use older kernel would be similarly
difficult if the menu is displayed or not.

While we're comparing experiences, all our computers run on Fedora. And while issues are rare, there have been some. The most recent one (last year IIRC) was a laptop freezing in middle of boot after certain kernel >= x.y.z for several months before whateveritwas got fixed. If a 13 year old kid learns to select the kernel from the menu after seeing it once...

But the true is, that the computers are not using any proprietary
drivers, which might be issue.

Neither was the laptop in the above case, FWIW. Regressions do happen.

	- Panu -