Re: equivalent of Debian config-package?

On 4 June 2018 at 14:29, Dave Love <loveshack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You wrote:
>
>> I think generally the Fedora/RH-ecosystem answer is to use Ansible for
>> configuration, rather than configuration packages.
>>
>> That's not sayin' there can't be another answer, but in general that's
>> the route *I'd* take to solve this problem on my systems.
>
> I guess we disagree about what the problem is, but it's unfortunate if
> Fedora/RH isn't interested in the sort of environment for which
> config-package was developed.

1. Do not strip out who you are replying to. There are hundreds of
people on this list and people come in at different times... and I am
not sure who "You" was.
2. Saying that Fedora/RH isn't interested by 1-2 comments is like me
walking into Debian lists getting 1 person saying "noone would ever
use Ansible" and assuming they speak for all of Debian.
3. There are people who do system management by rpm as can be seen by
various emails. Even Red Hat does so for the deployment of in the
field laptops who aren't getting regular checkins for a puppet or
ansible to work on.
4. System administration/configuration management is 99% "I have a
solution I endure and I don't have time to re-engineer it." and 1% "Oh
I think I want to write my own configuration management toolkit
because I can't endure what I am doing now." You are going to get
pushback from any site you are proposing this to until you show it is
useful for them.

So let us roll this discussion back a bit. There isn't an existing
system to do this. Most sites I have worked with roll their own using
different amounts of cron, config files, scripts in /usr/local/sbin
and rpms with %post/%pre and lots of %triggers. The ones who do this
would probably enjoy a tool which automated most of this work for
them, but they are all expecting someone else to write it for them.
And then because these solutions (even the Debian one) can go wrong
badly.. they are hesitant to use some other one until they see it
works.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.