Re: Hiding the grub menu by default on single OS installs

Chris Adams kirjoitti 31.05.2018 klo 20:09:
Once upon a time, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
On 31-05-18 15:08, Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
And for F30, single OS install we get:

1) grub menu not shown, 0 second timeout, no way to get to the menu
2) grub menu shown with 5 sec timeout after a failed boot

If I know I want the menu (say I need to boot single-user to fix
something), how would I do that in this setup?

Hopefully what ever you want to fix will count as a "failed boot"
if it requires single user mode.

Hmm... not really.  For example (just off the top of my head): lost root
password.  Without it, you won't be able to set any "next boot is
special" option, so resetting root's password would now require rescue
media.

This is pretty much my concern, too, about this change. So far, using a few extra boot parameters I have been able to recover at least from these ways of getting locked out from my computer:
- lost root password
- bad PAM configuration
- bad SSSD configuration
- broken networking and thus unable to log in with correctly set up SSH keys

Then there are the cases already mentioned by others, like user interface not showing up due to driver issues. There are so many ways to lock oneself out from a Fedora system. Will the hypothetical automatic detection for successful boot be able to detect all such cases?

How does one automate an adjustment for this new default, if it turns out that the default is indeed changed to one where it is not possible to access the menu without first convincing the system that the boot is now failing? AFAIK Fedora's grub configuration is set up in a quite unfortunate way so that the initial configuration comes from grub2-mkconfig and then later ones are made by grubby based on some heuristics. It does not exactly invite me to add a third program into the mix that does the updates I want, hopefully not stepping on toes of grubby and not breaking on changes to grub2-mkconfig of new Fedora versions.