Re: Hiding the grub menu by default on single OS installs

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 9:31 AM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Note that this is exactly why this is a F30 thing, to give us
> a chance to figure out how exactly to detect a failed boot.
>
> Also I would like to note that Windows has been doing more or
> less the same since Vista and it does not seem to cause any
> problems for Windows.

A few things differ, in important ways, between Windows and Fedora.

Windows provides, when using shift+restart, an additional dialog to
get to things like EFI shell, firmware setup, and Windows boot
manager. In fact this same *Windows* reboot menu shows Fedora. Ergo,
they are putting boot menu options in Windows. The communicate all of
this to the firmware with an NVRAM entry, so yeah it's kindof a UEFI
only thing. Point here is, this behavior in effect standardizes via
GUI, across all their supported (UEFI) hardware, how to get to
firmware setup, booting off USB sticks or other boot options, rather
than doing it via non-standard keyboard shortcuts at the front end -
where on quite a bit of hardware now, the keyboard isn't going to work
anyway because of fast boot by default.

Windows made most of the user facing behavioral changes in one whack,
rather than in stages.

I'm concerned less about this particular feature change, than
additional changes that end up giving the user the experience of being
jerked around. We've got a lot of bootloader related things up in the
air right now: the traditional editions depend on grubby, Atomic Host
and Silverblue don't use it at all, and behind the scenes I've seen
changes to GRUB that suggest we're about to abandon modifying grub.cfg
when new kernels are installed and instead using bootloaderspec
drop-in scriptlets. If all of these bootloader domain related things
change in sequence, I think people are gonna get really sick of it,
and confused. I think this is a case where monolithic change might be
better.

I'd rather see some kind of opt in for either Fedora 29. And make it
the default (opt out) for Fedora 30.

--
Chris Murphy