Re: Hiding the grub menu by default on single OS installs

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 11:09 AM, Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> said:

>> >If I know I want the menu (say I need to boot single-user to fix
>> >something), how would I do that in this setup?
>>
>> Hopefully what ever you want to fix will count as a "failed boot"
>> if it requires single user mode.
>
> Hmm... not really.  For example (just off the top of my head): lost root
> password.  Without it, you won't be able to set any "next boot is
> special" option, so resetting root's password would now require rescue
> media.

Reminder, starting with Fedora 28, the root user does not have a
passphrase set by default - so it's effectively disabled. And that
means emergency and rescue targets are kinda useless. One of those is
single user mode (I always forget which one).

> I'd say I'm against this part of your proposal.  I understand the
> reasoning, but it just seems like too much restriction to shave off a
> small amount of time.  You mentioned it "could take several seconds" for
> EFI to initialize USB, but what is the normal time, for a typical
> desktop or notebook with just a keyboard and mouse attached?

Will anyone even benefit from non-initialization of USB if they don't
disable such initialization in the firmware? Based on prior
conversations a while ago with GRUB folks, GRUB can (optionally)
initialize USB if the firmware doesn't (the feature sometimes called
fast boot). But I don't know whether Fedora's GRUB does this
initialization. And for sure the feature can't modify the firmware's
behavior so... I'm not clear where the savings comes from other than
there's no wait time for the boot menu.

--
Chris Murphy