Re: What services / tools still require NIS domain?

On 05/17/2018 01:54 AM, Ian Kent wrote:
I think you'll find NIS is still quite widely used.

NIS Plus was an attempt to improve NIS but (AFAIK) it never became widely used.
LDAP is another attempt to provide much of the table information provided by NIS
but it is far more complicated to administer.

NIS remains the simplest and easiest way to centrally manage (key, value) stores
such as password, group, netgroup, hosts etc. so it has endured.

On the other hand, LDAP can be run over TLS, so that people need to do a bit more than manipulate networks to gain unauthorized access to systems.

I've also been told that people use NIS because it doesn't have a search domain limit. But we removed that from Fedora 26 (in updates) and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.5, so there should be one reason less to run NIS.

Thanks,
Florian