Re: What services / tools still require NIS domain?

Thank you all for you replies, it helped a lot! :)

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 1:54 AM, Ian Kent <raven@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 16/05/18 23:17, David Kaspar [Dee'Kej] wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 5:07 PM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     I don't think SSSD or FreeIPA *require* it. They offer netgroup functionality that can be used with it. Maybe I misunderstood your question? Are you just asking which things in the distro interact with NIS domains at all?
>
>     Perhaps it would be better if you explained the rationale for the question. For example, are you trying to figure out if we can remove all of NIS from the distro?
>

> ​Sorry, I don't know much about NIS. I was coming out from what I've been told.

I think you'll find NIS is still quite widely used.

NIS Plus was an attempt to improve NIS but (AFAIK) it never became widely used.
LDAP is another attempt to provide much of the table information provided by NIS
but it is far more complicated to administer.

NIS remains the simplest and easiest way to centrally manage (key, value) stores
such as password, group, netgroup, hosts etc. so it has endured.

Automount maps are another (key, value) store that can be centrally managed by
NIS and there are still a surprising number of autofs users that continue to
use it.

> I'm trying to figure out, which application / tool / service still actually need the fedora-domainname.service to be present in Fedora in order to function correctly?

The question is kind-off ambiguous.

It's not so much applications that need the service but rather services
that can utilize the (key, value) information stored in NIS tables for the
functionality they provide that need the NIS domain to be set.

For example autofs can use NIS as an automount map source but it doesn't
depend on NIS, it can also use automount maps stored in files, LDAP, sss
etc.

Ian