Re: I would like to propose that we turn on XFS Reflink in Fedora 29 by default

On 05/02/2018 08:56 AM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
Given that it is exception activity, dump/mks/restore is also a less
convenient but more robust solution to the problem.

I'm sitting in a hotel room with a laptop.  What do I backup *to*?

If you're putting your years-old root or home filesystem at risk to bisect
a bug I'd humbly suggest that an external or additional disk might be more
suited to the task.

See above.

I don't have any real horse in this race - if Fedora feels that shrink
capability trumps features like reflink, that's fine.  Just offering my
thoughts on the matter, and trying to point out that shrink has its
downsides.

Ack.

I personally think that it's fine that XFS can't shrink.  It's just
important to be clear about the use cases for which it's intended.  I
also get uncomfortable with just dismissing use cases like this without
considering that there may be legitimate reasons for them.