Re: Goodbye nvr.rsplit('-', 2), hello modularity

On 03/16/2018 04:04 PM, Dennis Gregorovic wrote:
> modules are not RPMs.  I would not expect them to necessarily use the
> same format as RPMs.  If we take koji out of the equation, we have
> module builds in N:S:V:C format and module RPMs in N-V-R.A format.  They
> use different separators, but both can be parsed consistently.

I don't contest the above, but I am arguing that it is needlessly
different and causes infrastructure software to need to handle module
strings differently than they handle RPMs and containers. Perhaps there
is a benefit that I've not been made aware of yet, but from where I sit
it seems like a change that causes problems without bringing a tangible
benefit.

The reasoning I've heard so far is that this allows stream names to have
-'s in them - is that important? I don't know it to be, but am open to
be convinced. Thus my question - is it important enough to have -'s in
stream names to justify the work needed to make all things that interact
with Koji parse them using a web service rather than local code (such as
rsplit('-', 2) in Python)?

> If that means
> tweaking the Koji UI we can look into that.

For my concerns, it would be more helpful to tweak the Koji API than the
UI, so that tools that interact with Koji (like Bodhi) don't have to
know that Modules are different in Koji than they are everywhere else.
Of course, I'd rather just having modules not use -'s in stream names as
I wrote above, but if we really are going that route it'd be ideal if we
used :'s everywhere, including Koji.