Re: Improving the glibc32 situation

On 03/13/2018 03:03 PM, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 02:58:37PM +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
On Fri, 2018-03-09 at 14:07 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
Some x86_64 packages need a 32-bit glibc during build time.  Koji
does not provide it.
[...]
Comments?  Suggestions?

Why don't we just make koji provide it?
That is how a normal 64bit Fedora install looks like. Those have the
32bit packages available. So it makes sense to me that the koji build
repo also provides it for consistency. Why isn't the koji buildroot
just like a normal install?

The right fix would be to make koji deal with multilibs properly,
mock can handle that fine already, then glibc32 wouldn't be needed at all.

I think we requested these feature fifteen years ago, even before there was Koji. I recently (two months ago) tried to bump the priority, but haven't heard anything back. It's a pretty fringe use case, and probably needs major complications within Koji.

So we need to assume that we'll still need glibc32 going forward.

The big question, at this point, is what we as packages have to do to prevent leaking a rebuild into the compose. As far as I understand it, every package rebuild will trigger this. Build with --skip-tag and file a releng ticket to have it tagged correctly?

If that doesn't happen, we need glibc32, but only 0.01% of packages actually
need it, so e.g. forcing it into every buildroot would be a vaste of time.

It's actually a bit worse because since it's buildroot-only, we need to express build requires in such a way that they can be fulfilled by glibc-devel.i686. Otherwise, people would not be able to rebuild these packages using mock.

Thanks,
Florian