Re: Escaping macros in %changelog

On 10/02/18 12:54, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> David Sommerseth wrote:
>> I doubt Koji was primarily built for "does this work?"-builds.  It exists
>> to build proper packages targeting Fedora repositories.
>
> But that is the point, to build a proper package:
>
> do {
>   try build;
> } while (!build succeeded);
>
> and the output is a working package.

We agree on the goal.  But we have different views on the path to the goal.

I personally find it abusing shared resources throwing builds at it which has
not been tested first.  So I prefer to do local mockbuilds first, simply to
lessen the load on shared resources.  I'm not saying I haven't tossed failing
builds at koji, that has happened too.  But I generally try to avoid that as
much as I can.

>> To me this is backwards and is lacking some logic.  If you push things
>> which does not build properly, you also waste a build.
>
> That is a build attempt that would have had to happen anyway. Otherwise, how
> do I know that it doesn't build.
>
> The point is, the above optimized loop needs n build attempts. What you
> propose doing needs n+1 build attempts to get the exact same package.

True.  But my n+1 approach also wouldn't add litter to the git commit history
with noise.  I use the same approach when doing development too;  I always try
to avoid committing anything which hasn't been tested first, as I simply find
it nasty to have commits not building (which again makes bisecting harder) ...
But I'll agree that development and package maintenance are not the same thing
- even though they carry similarities

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth