Re: Escaping macros in %changelog

On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 05:02:10PM +0100, Igor Gnatenko wrote:
> It seems that a lot of people have %file, %check, %build, %whatsoever
> in their changelog section.
> Is there any reason I should not go and automatically escape them?

This seems like a lot of churn. If we're going to do this, let's go big
and get rid of RPM changelogs.

When we have a package update, there are basically two different kinds
of changelog information. Well, three.

First, there's the upstream changelog. We don't generally do much with
these except maybe package as %doc.

Second, there's package maintainer changelogs. These are really
redundant with the dist-git log. We don't really need this anymore.
It's just a chore.

Third, though, there's end-user information. Why should a user care
*This* is redundant with bodhi update info, at least if packagers fill
that out, and it often also duplicates upstream changelogs, *and* it
often also covers things like "fixes CVE-####' also carried the
specfile changelog.

This is neither most helpful for user *nor* ideal for packages. Why
don't we drop changelogs entirely in favor of 1) using the dist-git
logs for specfile maintainers and 2) providing the end-user information
in a different way. This could be through specially formatted log lines
going with the commit, or it could be simply in a standard separate
file (`fedora.user-visible-changes`). Optionally, it could include both
a high level end-user summary, and a detailed description for sysadmins
and the curious.

Wherever it lives, this would be read by Bodhi, so there's
would be need to enter it more than once. And, perhaps a DNF plugin
could be made to read and display this information for systems
administrators.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>