Re: EPEL support in "master" branch (aka speeding up Fedora development)

VO> I think FPC does not know.

Certainly we know what we generally try to do, but Fedora changes
quickly and some things aren't always stated as well as they could be.
Plus the experts who draft the more esoteric guidelines often have other
ideas.

The guidelines cover everything from the oldest supported release to
rawhide.  Where they don't we try to indicate that.  When sections get
outdated, I will generally remove them (and shift them to the EPEL packaging
page) but sometimes I miss something.

VO> Let me quote from Ruby guidelines update [1] which initially aimed
VO> on Rawhide, now it covers all supported Fedoras,

I personally wasn't aware that it does.  To be completely honest you
were pretty argumentative about the whole issue and I personally decided
to concentrate on other things and haven't gotten back to looking at it.

VO> ... Actually I'm not sure why, may be because of EPEL
VO> (in)compatibility?

The guidelines generally aren't concerned about EPEL compatibility.  I
mean, when it's possible and someone proposes a reasonable solution
which lets things remain compatible, I think we're all happy to consider
it but the guidelines are about the current two or three Fedora releases
plus rawhide.

But to the question at hand, it's often simply not possible to have a
"clean" spec and keep backwards compatibility all the way to EPEL.  I
find it surprising how much confusing conditional macro stuff people are
willing to deal with just to avoid having a couple of different spec
files.  To me the maintenance overhead of that stuff is far greater than
the work required to just maintain the specs separately, but I guess
others feel differently.

Even if we somehow officially discouraged some of the more hideous stuff
people do in pursuit of the "everything spec", I just can't see it being
banned because people like it too much.

 - J<