Re: EPEL support in "master" branch (aka speeding up Fedora development)

Dne 20.1.2018 v 14:30 Igor Gnatenko napsal(a):

> > It would be really useful to have a wiki page outlining where the
> > Guidelines for stable branches are different to the most recent
> version of
> > the Packaging Guidelines (if such a page already exists, please
> ignore this
> > and point me to it).
>
> I think Jason Tibbs said somewhere that packaging guidelines are
> targeting only
> rawhide. But I'm not sure if there is sentence written somewhere.

I think FPC does not know. Let me quote from Ruby guidelines update [1]
which initially aimed on Rawhide, now it covers all supported Fedoras,
but it is still not approved after almost 5 months, because ... Actually
I'm not sure why, may be because of EPEL (in)compatibility?

https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-1/2017-09-14/fpc.2017-09-14-16.00.log.html

> 16:36:30 <geppetto> Publishing new guidlines now that break on F26
seems like a bad idea.
> 16:41:06 <tibbs> I don't object to mentioning that "in F27+, you can
do this instead" or "For <= F26, you must do this instead".
> 16:41:28 <tibbs> But just saying "for actual current Fedora releases,
read this other thing" isn't particularly friendly.

https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-2/2017-11-29/fpc.2017-11-29-18.00.log.html

> 18:46:28 <tibbs> His complaint about how we should branch the
guideline ignores the reality that the people actually doing packaging
don't want to have to read.... six different guideline documents (one
for each of rawhide, F27, F26, F27, EL7, EL6).
> 18:47:38 <tibbs> I fail to understand it.  You wait until something is
"broadly usable" and then you document the exceptions.
> 18:48:11 <tibbs> But what good does that do people who just want to
know how to package?
> 18:48:35 <tibbs> You get something which works on rawhide but isn't
useful on any released Fedora version.
> 18:48:40 <tibbs> Packagers just don't want that.

And from my other fedora-devel thread

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/7JQEQCGK3UNGGPSBQQM3CKP2BYGGCHOV/

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/H4ZP36RZJCDZNQLNBDS5AHKZA2LXWTVS/

> IMHO, mixing epel specs with fedoras specs is a lost battle. It's
error-prone at best and hardly possible in "more than trivial" cases.

> Ralf

Vít

[1] https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/issue/710